Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Australian Open - View from the courts: Day two

A round-up of what all the key players said after the second day of the Australian Open in Melbourne.

Lleyton Hewitt: "I'll probably look back at it in a couple of days' time, look at where I could have improved and whatever. But in hindsight, when you haven't had the matches, haven't played five sets for quite a while, you're always going to be fighting it a little bit. He's a tough player to play against for anyone, even the best guys like Roger (Federer), Rafa (Nadal), purely because he wants to play on his terms. He's always gonna be the guy trying to dictate play. If he's able to dictate play, then he's extremely tough to beat."

Rafael Nadal: "I played well, moving the ball very well around the court. The only thing you think is 'win'. It was quick so that was better. I'm just trying to improve and be humble because every match is different. I'm very happy because I'm over the injury and at one of the greatest tournaments in the world."

James Blake: "You can't get a much more exciting three-setter. It was a little too exciting but he played some great tennis."

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga: "I try to play my best every time. I just try to be as good as I can be I played without pain. So it was a nice match. That's it."

Kei Nishikori: "No, I didn't have any pressure because, of course, he's good and he's seeded. I just didn't play well today,"

Venus Williams: "I think she played well. She was left handed and I think she used that to her advantage. She definitely started to play really well. I was really happy to be able to be out there and hit a lot of balls and find a rhythm and advance. She was going for a lot in those first five games, a lot really fast, trying to hit winners, great shots. I think she started to get a few more in play. At 5-3, I still feel extremely confident because I'm serving. It's what I want to do, is serve it out. So I felt comfortable."

Elena Dementieva: "I think it was a very tough match, especially because of the weather conditions. And it was not easy for me to come here after playing so many matches in a row. I'm sure I wouldn't have minded one or two extra days (off). But those are days you have to survive. I'm just very glad I was able to do it."

Serena Williams: "It was a little hot for me today but I was able to just take my time and play a lot slower, not giving 1,000 per cent. It was pretty important for me not to go crazy out there; to try and conserve some energy. One year I went crazy. A couple years I went completely crazy. So hopefully I'll be able to stay focused this year."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Australian Open

Live Streaming » Australian Open

Sports Live » Australian Open Live Streaming

Australian Open Live Stream