Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Australian Open - View from the courts: Day three

A round-up of what all the key players said after the third day of the Australian Open in Melbourne.

Novak Djokovic
: "(Andy Murray) has done a lot in the last couple of months: he's a very talented player and we can expect him to win some Grand Slams in the future. But you cannot put him as the favourite next to Roger (Federer) and Rafa (Rafael Nadal) and myself here at the Australian Open. It's flattering when people name me as a candidate for the top spots in men's tennis. On the other hand, you get expectations and certain pressures with this role."

Marat Safin: "I'm looking forward (to the match with Roger Federer). I have nothing to worry about. I'm going to play my match. We know each other pretty well. He knows how to play against me; I know how to play against him. Unfortunately I didn't win a lot of matches against him, but I'm looking forward. It's another chance. I have nothing to lose. I'm going to go for it. Whatever comes, comes."

Roger Federer: "We go way back. Him, of course, being a former number one, same as me, and a former Grand Slam champion, it's an intriguing match-up. Back when he was really at his very best, we had similar personalities growing up. I sort of chilled out and he kept on going. But it was always a good match-up."

David Nalbandian: "I don't think I played bad, but every set I was starting a break down and had to fight from a break down and come back. He played, I don't know if it was perfect, but he played at a very good level. I was still a break down. At the time I was a double break down. You never know. Things can happen. If I had broken in that moment we were still in the fight and you never know."

Lu Yen-hsun: "I was really struggling with my body and I was starting to have some problems with my legs. Everybody thinks Nalbandian is (one of) the best backhand players (and) I just guessed he would be ready for his forehand returns, so I changed my mind and said, 'okay, I go to his backhand all the time'. I'm 61 in the world and I have no pressure. I just (went) on the court and played my game. Really, for me, it's big step to be the third round in a Grand Slam .... I'm really happy."

Andy Roddick: "Things didn't quite go my way in the first set. He came up with some good shots and then I kind of just stayed the course and was able to make some adjustments to get through it. He came out with a good game plan and he was just going to fire. I was leaving some forehands hanging to him and he was taking advantage. I got my teeth back into the match and was able to kind of make it a little bit of a war out there, so it was good to get through that."

Ana Ivanovic: "There are still some areas I have to work on and improve. As you progress through the tournament you come up against tougher opponents, so you automatically raise your level. I think I still have to work a little bit on my serve. It was much better today, but it's still something I need to improve. I know there is still lots of room for improvement. So that gives me confidence."

Dinara Safina: "After I lost the first set, I really played my game. I really stepped in and I was going for my shots. I think I played a good match today. I had a slow start. I think I played poorly until 5-1, I didn't do anything. I was waiting for her mistakes. I played a poor tiebreak but once I lost it, I was like, 'if I don't change, I'll go home.' Whenever I'm passive, I lose. That's what happens every time. Without going for the shots, without risk, you're never going to be successful."

Jelena Jankovic: "It was a tough match for me. (Kirsten Flipkens) had nothing to lose so she could go out there and really swing freely. She played really well and I had to hang in there and find my way to get through the match. It's normal, it goes with your success. If you want to be number one you have to deal with this, it's the way it is so I don't complain. This is the bad part. I have to go out there expecting that opponents are really going to try their best and go out there and play with no pressure."

Jelena Dokic: "I was very nervous to be on centre court again. It's been a long time. She had a slow start but she started to play really well in that second set. She really had the momentum. It's amazing I was able to come out and pull it out. I'm fighting and playing for this country. I'm proud to play for this country again and I think by the reaction tonight... things have swung my way."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Australian Open

Live Streaming » Australian Open

Sports Live » Australian Open Live Streaming

Australian Open Live Stream